OUR BUNCH

OUR BUNCH

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

19 weeks - Mt. Pleasant Hospital Visit

*** I also updated the 18 week appt with all the information from Plano Presby Hospital Visit.  First, you might want to read that post.  It is below this post.*** 

WOW!  What an amazing and unexpected week!  I will try to catch up from Saturday (Oct. 23).

After coming home from Plano Presby, we knew that I had to start labor on my own before Dr. Mason/Dr.Slovak could try to save baby B & C. I was very dilated and it was 'inevitable'.  I started contracting on my own on Saturday morning (5 AM). I called Dr. Slovak on her cell at 5:20 AM.  She was at the hospital and ready for me.  (Dr. Mason was out of town at a conference until Monday so Dr. Slovak was given all my information and knew 'the plan').   By 6:10 AM, Baby A was delivered at 18 1/2 weeks and was not viable.  All of this happened very quickly and in a sterile environment, which was the best case scenario.   Baby B and baby C still have an undisturbed sack.  We immediately had a sonogram.   Baby B and baby C have great little heartbeats.  Ok...so whats next? ...wait again...to make sure I don't get an infection or continue contracting.  I had a lot of visitors on Saturday to pass the time.  Hannah came to visit and was not affected at all by the 'hospital' environment.  She had a sleepover at the Penningtons and greatly enjoyed it !  Luke stayed with me at the hospital. 

Sunday, Oct. 24- Still in upside down position, in hospital bed with LOTS of antibiotic IVs.  Things still look good and my cervix began closing on its own...miracle.   First step to success !  Dr. Slovak came in Sunday evening to check everything and we were on track for an 'emergency' cerclage on Monday morning.  I had no pain other than my neck and shoulders from the 'trendellenberg' position.  Also, we had emergency tornado warnings and room evacuations...fun in the bed, upside down !  Jamie Carson came to spend the night.  Luke and Hannah had fun at home, trying to get back in a routine before the week. 

Monday, Oct. 25- Dr. Mason was back in town and came in early to check my status. Things still look great!  Emergency cerclage set for 9 AM.    Dr. Mason and Dr. Slovak performed cerclage and it went well.  No problems.  That evening, Drs Mason and Slovak, Melissa Mason, Teresa, mom, Luke, Carol were all there to view the success of the cerclage on the sonogram.  It was a very exciting time !  Cervix was closed and thick...which is what we want for two healthy babies.  We saw the babies kick around and heard the heartbeats.  Jan Jan spent the night.  Luke and Hannah went to Two Senoritas and enjoyed another night in my big bed.  :) 

Tuesday, Oct. 26- Still in hospital on antibiotics. Dr. Mason came in early and saw the babies on the sono.  We heard heartbeats.  Still no infection.  I rested most of the day and enjoyed the relief of a successful cerclage.  Still on strict bedrest with bathroom priveleges.  Hannah and Dad came to visit right after school.  Hannah was wild in the hospital and still adjusting to the excitement of lots of attention.  Carol spent the night with me and Gran and Papa Sandlin brought dinner to Hannah and Luke.  

Wednesday, Oct 27 (19 weeks)  - Released from hospital.  Cervical length at a 3.5 (normal is around 2-3) This is NOT dilation, this is cervical thickness and it is normal for a 19 week pregnancy.  No infection.  Heparin shots -twice daily to prevent blood clots, Hydroxyprogesterone to help with preterm labor issues.  So...what now ?  Home bedrest with bathroom priveleges and short 4 min shower.   I LOVE being home.  My windows are open and meals are scheduled through the second week in NOV.    Papa delivered wheelchair and Captain Rick is reconfiguring my shower.  Mom and Carol have helped around my house to establish my 'camp.'  Hannah will be home tonight and ready for "Go Fish" and cuddling in my bed.  I am in recliner (very reclined) during the day and my bed at night.  God is GOOD!  I know that there are still risk so it is a day-day situation with 'guarded optimism' and lots of prayers. 

 THANK you family and friends for your love and support, etc. etc....: 

Luke- for being the BEST supporter and daddy ever !  For being positive and being super strict with my daily regimen.

Jan Jan, Cita, Dad, Captain, Katie, Keres, Gran, Papa- ENDLESS THANKS-to each of you

Dr. Slovak, Dr. Mason, and Dr. Koster- for your honesty and expertise, and  willingness to take a chance with my situation.   I know each of you were handpicked to be a part our life. 

Jamie Carson, Sarah, Sara, Audra, Amy, Jaton, Josh, Shane, Jake, Ralph, Charles, Peggy, Ms. Patsy, Amanda, Nikki, Kasi, Jamie Cody, Judi, Ratliff family, Rev. Becky Hand, Bro. Chuck Huffman, Tennison Church Family, Uncle Joe, Aunt Det, Donna and Micki Broach, 20th Century Club, Julie, Kerri, Laura, Leah, Shauna, Brett, Ms. Lupe, all my aunts and uncles, family and friends ...for keeping me positive

I am going to be a great patient and listen to my body...and Drs.

1 comment: