OUR BUNCH

OUR BUNCH

Friday, October 22, 2010

18 week checkup-Plano Presby Hospital Visit

Back dated to Friday - October 22, 2010

I know lots of people have lots of unanswered questions about my health and health of the babies'.   We are all home however, my cervix is dilated to a 4.5.  It looks like this started happening some time at the beginning of this week.  (Background info – A month ago, I changed my appt. with my perinatologist from Oct. 28 to Oct. 21. Then the drs office bumped it up one day to Oct. 20....in hindsight, this is the FIRST proof of God's presence in all of this.) 

***The next section may be graphic and more than you would like to know. So stop reading and know that I am ok***
At my 18 week check up with perinatologist, Dr. Koster, I was dilated to a 2.5.  We knew things had gone drastically wrong, “huge setback” as she said.   We were extremely shocked since I was not dilated at the 16 week checkup.  We decided to stay in the hospital overnight to watch for contractions and allow my body to ‘retract’ the membranes that were already lost.  We had a 50/50 chance of saving the babies.   I stayed in Plano Presby Wed. night with my feet in air, head to the ground, took IV fluids, antibiotic, etc. etc.  Thursday morning, Dr. Koster came back in to check my cervix.  I was still dilated to a 2.5 but fluid membranes were looking better.  So, we scheduled emergency cerclage Thursday afternoon.  My mom, Carol, my dad, Sarah, and Luke were all there for the surgery.   We found out immediately after surgery that it didn’t work.  Meaning that I had dilated to a 4.5 within the day and the membranes were protruding too far to make a ‘stitch.’  (Sorry for the terminology or lack thereof.)   So, what are my choices?  Lay in the hospital bed, far away from home and wait on preterm labor?  or go home and wait on delivery?  Mom, Carol, Dad, Luke and I all made the choice to come home.  

***
More background info- Dr. Mason is my OB in MP and he is a VERY skilled OB…meaning he can handle my labor and delivery as well as anyone in Plano.  (Perinatologists like Dr. Koster, handle high risk pregnancies.  They are not as skilled in delivery and Dr. Koster was the first to share that with us.)

With that said, Dr. Mason, called this morning to let me know a small bit of good news.   When I labor, he may be able to save baby b and baby c.   He performed this procedure in residency.  There are a lot of risks with a very small possibility of success.  However, he will try his best. 

Today, we came home from Plano and I am propped up in my recliner (still upside down-Thank you, Rick Anderson, for the ingenuity).  Luke is resting and mom is cooking dinner.  Hannah will be home from school soon and I am content.    We welcome visitors but I want to be with Hannah tonight.  So, please text me if you plan to come by over the weekend.  My house is a happy place for all of us.  So, more smiling faces are welcome.    : ) 

Truly, I have had a lot of proof of God’s presence within the week and I know that I am sitting in His palm right now.  My emotions are drained but I am at peace.  Luke and I trust both of our doctors 100%.  We don’t plan to interfere with God’s will.  He has a definite plan for us.  All of you know that by now. 

I know each of you have expressed your love and concern and we appreciate it more than you know.  Keep the prayers coming. 

I love you all !  Tasa

No comments:

Post a Comment